Monday, August 23, 2010

What's in a name?

Some people seem to have trouble accepting me a true blue, no kidding doctor.  For some, I appear just too young to be a real doctor.  Others can't seem to get past my gender as if a female physician is just so odd.  Surely I'm the nurse or the respiratory therapist.  When is the real doctor going to get here?

My friends and family have listened to me gripe about this treatment over the years.  It's been the source of numerous inside jokes.  One of my friends even gave me a copy of "Reflections on Nursing" by Florence Nightingale as a gag gift when I graduated from my internal medicine residency.  

So that's why I chose RealMD as my ID for this site.  Well, that and I didn't want to use my real name.  And, yes, I'm really a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment